The vanishing of Denny-Ray Poole: part II - the long walk

Camp Sagitawa, a Christian camp located by Moberly Lake, BC was a favorite of Denny’s.  He loved riding the horses.  Upon returning home after one of his visits to the horse camp, he excitedly told his grandmother how he had been baptised while out there.  Jenny was so proud that Denny made the choice to do this on his own.  Denny had been struggling a bit in middle school.  He hadn’t been getting into any more trouble than normal boys his age, says Jenny, but there had been a few issues.  Denny promised his grandmother that he wanted to stay out of trouble and try to work a little harder in school.  He told her he wanted to make sure he graduated.  According to Jenny, he wasn’t quite sure yet what he wanted to be when he grew up, aside from a hockey player, but he knew he wanted to be able to take care of his grandmother.  That’s the kind of heart Denny had. 

March 11, 2016- From this point on, the only information I can find is gathered from numerous news articles, and at times the information in the articles differ from each other.  On this night, Denny had told his grandmother he was going to sleep over at his best friend’s house. She allowed him to do this, if his chores were done. Based on information gathered by the only known witness, Denny’s friend, he and Denny decided to jog 76.4 kms to Fort St. John to meet a girl they had reportedly been chatting with online.  As far as I can tell, Denny’s friend and travel companion is the only one from this point on listed in any of the articles to see Denny.  I have been unable to confirm who the girl is or if she exists. Looking through Denny’s Facebook friends, I can’t help but notice a large number of fake profiles.  Some of the people he had be-friended online, weren’t who they say they were.  I have asked Jenny if she knows if the police have followed up on the mystery girl, but she didn’t know.  This is not to say she doesn’t exist, or isn’t real, just that I haven’t been able to find any further information on this. Or clarity if it was Denny who was chatting with the girl or his friend.

article continues below

With a low reaching -6, The boys walked throughout the night. Denny, only wearing a sweatshirt, jeans, and Osiris skate shoes, with a black DC hat.  According to a couple articles by the same news source, a Police press release states “The two teens wandered the highway and backroads for some 20 hours taking what they thought to be shortcuts of the backroads but appeared they kept getting turned around and did not make much headway.” 

Saturday, March 12, 2016 – The winter sky is overcast.  That morning, at about 10:00 am, Denny talks to his grandmother on the phone.  He tells her “I’ll be home pretty soon, Mommy.”  When asking where he is, he goes on to tell her he’s walking “down the hill” which to the locals usually means down 8th st.  Jenny tells him “Call before you get back.”  She didn’t know that was the last time she would ever hear from her grandson. 

According to one article, Denny’s friend has been cleared by police and is not considered a suspect.

To be continued next week…

Do you have a local cold case or missing family member who’s story you’d like to tell? E-mail me at


© Copyright Dawson Creek Mirror News


NOTE: To post a comment you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

The Dawson Creek Mirror welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.

comments powered by Disqus