Hillcrest burning in Pouce called off

The burning of the Hillside Motel cottages this weekend is a no-go.

Last week, the Village of Pouce Coupe had announced they were torching the four cottages for training for the Pouce volunteer fire department and other local fire departments. It was described as the Village’s one opportunity to get rid of the buildings, which had a negative effect on property values and crime.

article continues below

Some residents wrote into council protesting the burn, citing the smoke and other byproducts of the fire as concerns.

However, Village staff say they received a call from WCB last night saying the burning could not take place until a hazardous materials assessment took place. According to staff, someone had told WCB that hazardous materials — ie asbestos, lead — could be present.

While the burning could theoretically take place after a such an assessment takes place, the Village notes that it would fall to the property owner, and he is under no obligation to pay for such an assessment.

reporter@dcdn.ca

© Copyright Dawson Creek Mirror News

Comments

NOTE: To post a comment you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

The Dawson Creek Mirror welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.

comments powered by Disqus