Bus cuts hurt everyone, says bus rider

It’s been over two weeks since the city has voted to cut the city’s transit budget in half resulting in what would be losing our Central run, and a reduction in weekday and full elimination of Saturday service. 

Many people have said how would people get to and from on weekends/evenings. This week as the World Junior A Challenge is happening in Dawson Creek, I found myself and other using the bus to get to & from the Encana Centre to either attend the games or to go to work in that area (whether at the Encana Centre)  or in the surrounding areas). It got me thinking what if the World Juniors decided to come a year later in December 2020 instead of 2019. How would all these people get to the games or to work

article continues below

I’m an avid bus user myself using to get to and from work everyday and using it for errands, visiting people or getting around town on Saturdays. I’ve never expected the city to make such a decision without public consultation from both the city or BC Transit. The city mentioned two major groups (or so they thought) that make up majority of the ridership; students and people going to/from work. This assumption was overestimated as I was having a discussion with a transit driver who is concerned as a result in how he is going to be affected as a result. He stated this ‘majority group’ only makes up about 30% of the total daily ridership of our transit system. Seniors, low income & persons with disabilities making up the other 70% of the daily ridership. 

I’m in that low income bracket and can’t afford to take taxi’s everyday. If I took a cab everyday to/from work it would be $100/week and in an entire year that would be $5,200. That’s significantly more than a bus pass each month for a year. A 1 month bus pass is $50/month for a result of $600/year. My challenge to Mayor & Council is to ride the bus as their daily transportation choice for a full month AFTER the changes go in effect and see how it impacts your daily lives. 

Raistlin van Spronsen - concerned bus user 

© Copyright Dawson Creek Mirror News

Comments

NOTE: To post a comment you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

The Dawson Creek Mirror welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.

comments powered by Disqus