Skip to content

Accused in rock pit shooting dead in Abbotsford

IHIT confirms Jaskarn Lally killed in targeted shooting
A gravel pit south of Dawson Creek where a man was shot in the legs in early 2015. A man charged after the shooting was killed in Abbotsford over the weekend.

A man standing trial in Dawson Creek after a man was shot at a gravel pit two years ago was killed in a targeted shooting in Abbotsford last week. 

B.C.’s Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) confirmed March 25 that Jaskarn Lally, 20, had been shot dead in a daytime shooting in the 3500 block of Chase street in Abbotsford. 

Lally was set to go before a judge in Dawson Creek April 24 for a continuation of trial on half a dozen firearms charges linked to a drug-related shooting in 2015. Investigators say Lally was known to police and affiliated with local gangs. 

He was among four men arrested after a man was kidnapped off the street in Dawson Creek, driven to the Radar Lake gravel pit south of town and shot repeatedly in the legs. The man survived and was able to drag himself to a road where he flagged down a ride to hospital, where at last report he was in stable condition. 

Police linked the shooting to a “war” for control of the local drug trade, which escalated through 2015.

Lally and three other men were arrested after a traffic stop shortly after the shooting. After being released on bail, he was caught attempting to break into a residence in the 1600 block of 95th Ave., which police had raided earlier in connection with the investigation. 

Lally last appeared in Dawson Creek provincial court in November.

The Crown dropped charges against the other three men, leaving only Lally facing charges. He was accused of six firearms-related offences, including unauthorized possession of a firearm, possessing a weapon obtained through an offence and possessing a prohibited weapon. 

According to a news release, Lally was shot at around 2:30 in the afternoon on March 24, but more than two hours passed before police were called. A black Ford F-150 was spotted leaving the scene. Anyone with information is asked to contact IHIT.