Dawson Creek Regional Transit Fare Change effective July 1, 2020
1. Will customers be able to exchange their old tickets prior to July 1, 2020? Beginning July 1, 2020, customers can exchange whole sheets of Student/Senior (blue/purple) tickets and pay the $6.75 difference to receive a sheet of new tickets at City Hall. Customers with Adult (green) tickets can also exchange theirs for an additional $4.50.
2. What happens if customers try to use Adult (green) or Student/Senior (blue/purple) tickets after July 1, 2020? Customers should use all their tickets by July 1, 2020. Full sheets of tickets can be exchanged for a cost at City Hall.
3. What is a DayPASS? Dawson Creek has not previously had a DayPASS. The DayPASS will be replacing transfers and only sold on board the bus. Customers with a DayPASS will be able to ride the transit system all day for a set price (see below for more detail).
4. How will the DayPASS be validated? The DayPASS is a visually validated pass. Customers are required to present their DayPASS to the driver with the date clearly displayed when boarding the bus.
5. After July 1, 2020 where can the public purchase a DayPASS? The DayPASS can only be purchased onboard using cash or transit tickets.
6. What are the options to purchase a DayPASS? Customers can pay for a DayPASS in three ways: • $4.50 cash (exact change required) • Two Tickets • One Ticket and $2.25 cash (exact change required)
7. Can customers pre-purchase a DayPASS? Customers can pre-purchase a sheet of ten transit tickets for $20.25. Using two tickets to obtain a DayPASS is a cost effective alternative to cash – it will cost only $4.05 to ride transit all day.
8. Do customers have to buy a DayPASS when boarding the bus? Customers do not have to buy a DayPASS when they board the bus, however it is the most cost effective way to travel using the bus if they are making more than a single trip on the same day. If they are making a single trip that only requires one boarding, they can pay with a $2.25 cash fare or single transit ticket.
9. Is the new DayPASS transferable between individuals? The DayPASS remains non-transferable between individuals.
10. When does the DayPASS expire? At the end of the service day it was issued.
11. What if a customer forgets to buy a DayPASS when they board the bus? Can they add another $2.25 or a ticket and receive a DayPASS? A DayPASS cannot be added to a single ticket that has already been used. Customers must decide whether they are purchasing a DayPASS or using a single ticket or single cash fare at the time of boarding. Customers must pay for their DayPASS at the time of boarding.
12. What if a customer asks for a transfer? The driver will inform the customer that transfers have been replaced by DayPASSes for $4.50. Drivers can provide a DayPASS to customers expecting a transfer until July 15, 2020.
13. Why is there a fare change being implemented when there will be less service offered? Decisions regarding service levels and fares are the responsibility of the municipality. At this time it was decided that due to ongoing inflation driving up the costs of operations that a fare change was needed. This change will also introduce the DayPASS-onboard product and prepare the system for next generation fare collection technology.